Effective date: March 11, 2013.
Welcome to Go Sailing ("Go Sailing," "we," "us" or "our"). Go Sailing is a social network for people that are passionate about sailing.
Our Policy applies to all visitors, users, and others who access the Service ("Users").
1. INFORMATION COLLECTION
We collect the following information about you and your use of our service in order to create a better, more personalized experience for you:
- Your first and last name, e-mail address and password as part of the Sign Up process for a Go Sailing account.
- Your user profile information (e.g., first and last name, phone number, sex, relationship status, date of birth, nationality, current city, languages).
- Sailing Certifications that you select in your sailing settings (e.g., Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, Bareboat Chartering, Chartering & Navigation, Offshore Certs, Cruising Catamaran, Advanced Docking, Advanced Anchoring, Radar Operations, and any other certifications you might enter as free text).
- Club affiliations that you provide in your sailing settings (e.g., your sailing club or yacht club entered as free text).
- Boat information that you provide in your sailing settings (e.g., boat name, manufacturer, length, year, cabins, heads).
- User content that you post to the service. Examples:
- Your crew request information that you provide as part of your new crew request (e.g., trip name, departure information (e.g., city, date and time), arrival information (e.g., city, date and time), number of crew, sailing skills, trip type, route, boat rules, boat info (name, manufacturer, length, year, cabins, heads), additional comments, invited users (for private crew requests), users that applied (for public crew requests))
- The crew requests you applied to (or have been invited to), and the status of such applications or invitations (e.g., accepted or declined)
- Trip messages that you send to other users
- Communications between you and Go Sailing. Example:
- service related e-mails (e.g., account verification, technical and security notices). Note that you may not opt out of Service-related e-mails.
- feedback you submit (e.g., through ‘About Us’ and Feedback’)
- Sailing buddies information. If you choose, you can locate other people with Go Sailing accounts through a search of names on Go Sailing, and then add them to your sailing buddies.
- We may use third-party analytics tools to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service. These tools collect information sent by your device or our Service, including the web pages you visit, add-ons, and other information that assists us in improving the Service. We collect and use this analytics information with analytics information from other Users so that it cannot reasonably be used to identify any particular individual User.
- We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of "cookies”. These are small files that your browser places on your computer. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies to better understand how you interact with our services, to monitor aggregate usage by our users and web traffic routing on our services, and to improve our services. Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies. You can instruct your browser, by editing its options, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit.
- Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you make a request to access (i.e., visit) a web page or app. It can also be provided when the content of the webpage or app is downloaded to your browser or device. When you use our Service, our servers automatically record certain log file information, including your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may also collect similar information from emails sent to our Users which then help us track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service.
- Device identifiers: we access, collect, monitor, store on your device, and/or remotely store one or more "device identifiers." Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device’s operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by Go Sailing. A device identifier may deliver information to us or to a third party partner about how you browse and use the Service and may help us or others provide reports or personalized content and ads. Some features of the Service may not function properly if use or availability of device identifiers is impaired or disabled.
- Metadata is usually technical data that is associated with User Content. For example, Metadata can describe how, when and by whom a piece of User Content was collected and how that content is formatted. Users can add or may have Metadata added to their User Content including a hashtag (e.g., to mark keywords when you post a photo), geotag (e.g., to mark your location to a photo), comments or other data. This makes your User Content more searchable by others and more interactive. If you geotag your photo or tag your photo using other’s APIs then, your latitude and longitude will be stored with the photo and searchable (e.g., through a location or map feature) if your photo is made public by you in accordance with your privacy settings.
2. USE OF INFORMATION
We use the information collected through Go Sailing for the purposes described below:
- to monitor and analyze usage and trends, and to personalize and improve Go Sailing and your experiences when you use Go Sailing, such as providing content or features that match your profile or interests (including online ads or other forms of marketing)
- to increase the functionality and user friendliness of our services;
- remember information so you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service
- monitor metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns
- provide, improve, test, and monitor the effectiveness of our Service
- for any other purpose for which the information was collected
3. SHARING OF YOUR INFORMATION
We will not share the personal information we have collected from you, except as described below:
- Any information or content that you voluntarily disclose for posting to the Service, such as User Content, becomes available to the public, as controlled by any applicable privacy settings that you set. To change your privacy settings on the Service, please change your profile settings, Certification and club affiliation settings, and new crew request settings.
- Subject to your profile and privacy settings, any User Content that you keep public (by default) or make public is searchable and viewable by other Users.
- If you remove information that you posted to the Service, copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Service.
- We may share your information as well as information from tools like cookies, log files, and device identifiers and location data, with third-party organizations that help us provide the Service to you ("Service Providers"). Our Service Providers will be given access to your information as is reasonably necessary to provide the Service under reasonable confidentiality terms.
- We may share User Content and your information (including but not limited to, information from cookies, log files, device identifiers, location data, and usage data) with businesses that are legally part of the same group of companies that Go Sailing is part of, or that become part of that group ("Affiliates"). Affiliates may use this information to help provide, understand, and improve the Service (including by providing analytics) and Affiliates’ own services (including by providing you with better and more relevant experiences).
- We may also share certain information such as cookie data with third-party advertising partners. This information would allow third-party ad networks to, among other things, deliver targeted advertisements that they believe will be of most interest to you.
- We may remove parts of data that can identify you and share anonymized data with other parties. We may also combine your information with other information in a way that it is no longer associated with you and share that aggregated information.
- We may access, preserve and share your information when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants or court orders.
- We will not rent or sell the personal information we have collected from you without your consent, except as noted in this Policy.
4. STORAGE AND PROCESSING OF YOUR INFORMATION
- Your information collected through the Service may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Go Sailing, its Affiliates or Service Providers maintain facilities.
- Go Sailing, its Affiliates, or Service Providers may transfer information that we collect about you, including personal information across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are located in a region with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction.
- We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. Go Sailing cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit to Go Sailing or guarantee that information on the Service may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.
- Please note you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and account information, and for controlling access to emails between you and Go Sailing, at all times. Your privacy settings may also be affected by changes the social media services you connect to Go Sailing make to their services. We are not responsible for the functionality, privacy, or security measures of any other organization.
5. ACCESSING AND MODIFYING YOUR INFORMATION
- If you have an account, you can access and modify the information you provided us that is associated with your account, such as profile settings, Go Sailing Settings and Sailing Settings.
- You can unsubscribe from email communications from us by clicking on the "unsubscribe link" provided in such communications. As noted above, you may not opt out of Service-related communications (e.g., account verification, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices).
- If you have any questions about reviewing or modifying your account information, please contact us directly at email@example.com.
- Following termination or deactivation of your account, Go Sailing, its Affiliates, or its Service Providers may retain information (including your profile information) and User Content for a commercially reasonable time for archival/backup, audit purposes and as otherwise required by law.
- If you have any questions about termination or deactivation of your account, or in the event of the death of a Go Sailing User, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. OTHER WEB SITES AND SERVICES
8. CONTACT INFORMATION